By Stanley Onyekwere and Ayodele Samuel, Lagos
The minister of Health Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, yesterday rebuffed reports of new cases of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the country, reiterating that at present, there are only two confirmed cases of the disease in the Nigeria.
The Lagos State government had yesterday said five new suspected cases of Ebola Virus Disease were reported at the Yaba Mainland Hospital in Lagos.
Speaking at a press conference, Wednesday, Jide Idris, the State Commissioner for Health said two of the cases were from secondary contacts. Idris said the state have recorded eight suspected cases, five of which came in yesterday (Tuesday), 12 confirmed. “On the whole, five have died (including the index case). We are currently following up 213 contacts, and 62 have completed the two-day follow-up,” he added. Dr. Idris also said that the government’s “vigorous” contact tracing is now shifting from primary to secondary contacts. But, discarding the report, the minister said any doubtful information on the outbreak of the deadly disease in the country should be verified from his office, as the sole authority to announce confirmed cases as far as disease epidemics in Nigeria are concerned.
A statement signed by the Special Assistant on Media and Communication to the minister, Dan Nwomeh, noted that this clarification follows media reports over purported five new cases in Lagos State.
According to the statement, the minister further reassures the public that any new confirmed case of EVD will be announced by his office promptly.
“However, as at 7 pm yesterday, there is no other confirmed Ebola Virus Disease case in Nigeria outside the two that are currently under treatment at the isolation ward in Lagos,” the statement added.
Meanwhile, the Lagos state government has paid tribute to the the deceased doctor as well as the other health workers who had died from Ebola virus since the disease broke out in July, describing them as the heroes and heroines of the day.
Dr. Idris recalled that Dr. Adadevoh led the team that attended to the index case – Liberian-American, Mr. Patrick Sawyer and substantially to her credit the moderate containment achieved is owed.
According to Dr.Idris. “Her doggedness and commitment to duty saw her personally reviewing the case even though the patient had earlier been seen by a doctor. “The Ministry of Health commiserates with their families, co-workers, friends and loved ones on these irreparable losses which were on the line of duty,” he added.
Read more from the publisher: Peoples Daily Newspaper
Copyright & credit exclusively reserved for the publisher, referenced above.
Nigeria Newspapers Online syndicates daily Nigerian news
and updates, sourced from major Nigerian newspaper houses online.
A member of DisNaija network: Everything Naija.